Difference Between On-Campus Education and Online Education
On-campus education vs. online education! Is one better than the other? Can one completely replace the other? Indeed it seems that online education is that the way of the longer term. Educational institutions, corporations and government organizations alike already offer various sorts of electronic teaching. However, can a computer truly replace an educator and a blackboard?
In the age of high-speed information transfer, online education is becoming a well-liked and cheap means for delivering teaching to individuals outside the classroom, and in some cases everywhere the planet. Teaching is often via CD, websites, or through real-time online facilities like webcasts, webinars and virtual classrooms. However, different methods of online education each have their own advantages and drawbacks.
Online education remains a comparatively new concept, and in many respects still within the teething stages. As such, various problems arrive across different online education environments. for instance :
- Lack of immediate feedback in asynchronous learning environments: While some online education environments like webcasts, webinars and virtual classrooms operate accept the addition of a teacher , most don’t . Teaching that’s delivered through a CD or website, although having the advantage of being self-paced, provides no immediate feedback from a live instructor.
- More preparation required on the a part of the instructor: In a web education environment, a teacher can’t simply substitute front of a whiteboard and deliver a category . Lessons in online education environments must be prepared before time, along side any notes and directions which will accompany the teaching.
Staffing levels can also be higher for courses run in a web education environment, requiring for example:
The Instructor – ready to teach both course content and be skilled within the use of technologies involved
The Facilitator – to help the trainer in delivering content, but may do so remotely
Help Desk – to supply assistance to instructors, facilitators and students within the use of both software and hardware wont to deliver the course.
- Not all people are comfortable with online education: Education is not any longer only sought by the world’s youth. With an increased trend towards adult and continuing education, there’s a requirement to style courses suitable for college kids over a bigger age-range, also as students from different and varied backgrounds. it’s difficult, however, to style online education environments suitable for everybody .
- Increased potential for frustration, anxiety and confusion: In a web education environment, there are a greater number of parts making up the system which will fail. Server failures may prevent online courses from operating. Software based teaching applications may require other specific components to work . Computer viruses may infect software necessary to run online education environments. If these systems are complex, students may choose the convenience of On-campus education instead of taking the extra time and energy necessary to master the utilization of online education systems.
- The Digital Divide: many of us who sleep in remote areas and developing countries don’t have access to computers, making any sort of online education virtually impossible. For this reason, online education is merely ready to be targeted at the people lucky enough to be ready to cash in of the technology involved. Similarly, offering live teaching across the planet means different time zones and nationalities increase the demand for multi-skilled instructors.
Still, the foremost common sort of instruction is traditional classroom-style learning. These instructor-led environments are more personal than online education environments, and even have the advantage of allowing immediate feedback both to and from students and teachers alike. However, the classroom allows for fewer flexibility than courses run in online education environments.
Instructors in modern classroom environments are still ready to cash in on several sorts of electronic teaching tools while still maintaining the atmosphere related to the normal classroom environment. For example, PowerPoint slides are often utilized rather than a whiteboard or blackboard. Handouts are often distributed via course websites before the event. However, on the day, students are still ready to actively participate in the lesson.
Like online education environments, On-campus education comes with certain drawbacks, the foremost common of which is that the classroom itself. this needs a gaggle of individuals which, during a university for instance, could reach a couple of hundred people in size, to collect within the same place at an equivalent time. this needs enormous time and financial commitment on behalf of both the scholars and therefore the institution.