When it comes to hair, most of us spend more time thinking what to do with it: how to style it, how short to cut it, how often to colour if it starts going gray. But to the experts, the health of our hair and scalp can be a major indicator to a wide array of health conditions.
Hence, it is important for you to take steps for the prevention of hair loss before it starts thinning out and the solution lies in sensible hair care.
Prevent hair loss
To most people, the thought of prevention of hair comes only after losing lot of it. But starting early works out a lot easier (when it is likely to have head full of hair) in both emotional and financial terms. The fact is by taking care, you set yourself apart with healthier hair and better looks. So given below are few things that if followed, can help you to control hair loss forever:
• Maintain a healthy lifestyle
• Take care of your hair
• Avoid things bad for your hair
• See Your Doctor for a Diagnosis
Follow a Healthy Lifestyle
Hair is often taken as a reflection of your general health. For healthy person, it would probably look good as well. And if there is fall, it could indicate possible health problems. Hence, whatever you do to keep good health needs to be applied for hair as well. These include eating your fruits and vegetables (especially Vitamin B, Calcium, Zinc and Iron that are particularly linked to healthy hair), consuming a protein-rich diet (it is protein that makes up hair) and drinking enough water.
Take care of your hair
Hair that is dirty is more likely to be infected and likely to fall. That makes it important for you to keep it clean. Buy good quality products, including shampoo. As you shampoo, focus on the roots and scalp. When a conditioner or lotion is applied, concentrate on the hair ends (which are likely to dry out faster and are more susceptible to damage resulting from exposure). You should make a habit of trimming your mane regularly for better look and feel of your hair. Besides, you also say “good bye” to those irritating split ends.
Avoid things that are bad for your hair
Although this may seem understandable but many of us take on several unhealthy practices without actually knowing it. Some of these practices include:
· Many chemical treatments (even so-called ‘herbal’ products) that are meant to change the hair looks (straightening, hot ironing, and perming).
· Blow-drying: Doing this makes the scalp dry and damages the follicles. Try to air dry your hair, at least part time, or change to the lowest heat setting on your blower.
· Styles that pull the hair tight as in braids or pony tails. Sometimes hair actually comes out of its roots. The hair might even stop growing permanently from the areas with the most pulling of hair.
· Combing or rough towelling your hair when it is wet. Doing this pulls out some hair strands from its roots while breaking or stretching others.
The idea is to be tender when dealing with your hair. You should not do anything that might harm your hair in any way.
See Your Doctor for a Diagnosis
There are cases like severe physical or emotional trauma, medical treatments like chemotherapy, thinning hair or balding, where you cannot do much to prevent hair loss though it may grow again on its own. But for conditions other than these, if there is thinning of your hair than usual, see your doctor to find the reason behind this thinning and get appropriate treatment for hair loss recovery.